Highways England operates England's motorways and major A roads, including maintenance and upgrades to help prevent incidents on the road network. They have around 3,500 staff based in 7 offices across the country.
Highways England historically carried out all recruitment activity through civil service resourcing. However in March 2015, the organisation took all recruitment activity in-house. This change called for a central resourcing team to manage the recruitment of more than 500 vacancies each year. For this significant volume of recruitment, they needed a system that would help them to deliver an efficient recruitment solution.
Following a tender process for the recruitment system, Highways England chose Konetic's Active Recruitment solution.
“The system meets our needs in a number of ways, we have visibility of all roles in one system, our document management has improved, as has tracking and reporting on recruitment metrics."
The Result: Significant Benefits
- Visibility and sharing of information has been made easier with the ability to run weekly and monthly reports. Reports are sent to department heads on a regular basis, which often acts as a prompt to update information or follow-up on a particular role.
- In the past, the team had a paper-based filing system, whereas now all documents are stored electronically within the system, saving space and making it much faster and easier to locate specific information.
- Having visibility of all current vacancies is really valuable. It means that if a member of the team is away from the office, it's very easy for a colleague to pick up their work if needed.
- Communication is managed effectively through standard email templates being set-up within the system and sent to candidates regarding their application, or managers regarding the status of their vacancies.
- Contract Management has also improved. Highways England use Konetic to generate employment contracts which are merged with the correct information for each new employee. This has saved a huge amount of time for the team.
Looking to the Future
Highways England have already identified features of the system that they are not currently using that will help to further improve their processes. Currently the only people who are using the system are the resourcing team themselves. However they are planning to roll-out the system across the business, so that line-managers can login to the system and post new vacancies themselves. This will save a lot of time for both line managers and the resourcing team and streamline the process further.
Konetic specialise in eRecruitment and their Active eRecruitment software is a secure, scalable and robust platform.